This match was a throw back to an era genuine soccer fans want to forget. The era when going to a soccer game was a matter of life and death. Where soccer was the game of the uncouth, were soccer was unfashionably dangerous. Let’s not get it twisted the behavior of the fans was reprehensible. They started the whole mess by throwing objects at the players, but the Marseille players should know better than to retaliate. When you act violent towards an unruly person it is hard to see who was at fault in the first place when you retrospectively review the incident. Whilst the stadium stewards acted nobly by not escalating the violence, I believe they were not equipped to handle such incidences. Check out the clip. You can see the guys in the yellow reflectors trying to keep the crowd from coming onto the pitch but they were literally just watchers at that point. No effort whatsoever to create a human chain around the ground as is standard practice. Maybe because of the decrease in violence in soccer stadiums in the last 30 years has seen law enforcement becoming complacent and lax. A fan could easily have stabbed or injured a player or official mortally and no one could have been in a position to even know how it happened. Here is hoping this will be a learning experience for the French Law enforcement and the FFF.

Back to matters on the pitch, Steve Mandanda providing the moment of the match with a double save in the first half. Dimitri Payet and Matteo Guendouzi featured for Marseille, the latter was slightly off pace. His sloppy play nearly costing Marseille the opener but Mandanda was in inspired form saving well from Boudaoui. Denmark international scored the only goal of the ill fated game with a clever chest finish that deceived Mandanda at his near post. No offside as he was behind the ball when it was crossed. After the violence was quilled Nice returned to the pitch but Marseille refused to in protest. Who do you think the points should be awarded to? I think the remaining 15 minutes should be played with no fans in the stadium. Although Marseille should have continued the game to stick it to hooliganism, they may have worried for their safety which is understandable.